First, I really “prefer” my spam in English / Hebrew.
Second, Mr. Gates didn’t keep his promise* (what???) to a world without spam…
Third, Spam isn’t personal, everybody have it and Symantec have some nice monthly statistics** about it so we could all feel normal back again.
Spam highlights from last two reports (8-9/2008)
– More than 80% of our emails are spam!
– Top spam “stories”
- Breaking News…McCain Chooses Paris Hilton as Running Mate
- Download IE7 … the Latest Version (I know someone who tried it :)
- Malware + Spam + Phishing = The Trifecta of Threats to Financial Institutions (I got a lot of these…)
- Olympic-Themed Spam Continued in August 2008
- Spammers’ Bullseye: Obama, McCain and the Olympic Games
- World War III Spam Hoax (I must admit, this one is really innovative :)
- Phishing Email Targets Microsoft POP3 User Data
- Bilingual Spam Messages Emerge
– Spam categories
- Internet 27% (was 18% in June)
- Products 20%
- Financial 17%
- Health 17%
- Scams 7%
- Leisure 4%
- Fraud 4%
- Adult 4%
* “Two years from now, spam will be solved” (Bill Gates, DAVOS – Switzerland; Jan. 2004)
** Each month Symantec publishes its State-of-the-Spam-Report highlighting major spam events or trends observed during the previous month.